• .
    .

Project Case Study: Market knowledge pays off for HSA PrimeCare

The firm’s newest MOB on the Silver Cross Hospital campus in New Lenox, Ill, is a big hit

By Connie McCaffrey

Despite several challenges, including the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Silver Cross Medical Pavilion D will soon be fully occupied and has been deemed to be an overwhelming success for the hospital and its affiliated physician group/tenants. (Photo courtesy of HSA PrimeCare)

There are times when healthcare real estate (HRE) projects are planned and developed without a hitch.

Then again, there are many projects in which HRE developers face unforeseen circumstances, requiring them to do their homework, use their creativity and persevere through such difficulties.

This is precisely what Chicago-based HSA PrimeCare did after the longtime HRE development, ownership and management firm was chosen by Silver Cross Hospital to build a new medical office building (MOB) on its campus in New Lenox, Ill., about 40 miles southwest of Chicago.

“We’ve worked with Silver Cross for over a decade, including building the first MOB on their hospital campus, as well as a cancer center and business center on the campus,” says John Wilson, HSA PrimeCare’s president. “Silver Cross knows us and the type of work we’ve done for them in the past, and the outcomes.”

Despite several challenges, including the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic – when providing in-person showings to prospective tenants was not an option – the Silver Cross Medical Pavilion D will soon be fully occupied and has been deemed to be an overwhelming success for the hospital and its affiliated physician group/tenants.

The impetus for the Silver Cross Medical Pavilion D project, which would become the fifth non-hospital facility on the 130-acre Silver Cross Hospital campus, was a desire by the system’s leadership for more clinical space in order to bring in and attract additional physician groups to the campus. Silver Cross, which has been an independent, not-for-profit hospital since the 1890s, moved from its former site in nearby Joliet to the 130-acre, 302-bed hospital campus in New Lenox in 2012.

In addition to adding more MOB space to the campus, officials also wanted to add a new urgent care component to provide services for non-critical care patients and be a relief valve for the hospital’s emergency room.

However, building the new MOB presented a challenge to HSA PrimeCare, as the hospital initially committed to leasing only 15 percent of the 41,274 square foot, two-story outpatient facility, meaning the development firm, which would also be the owner and property manager, would need to fill the remaining 85 percent of the space.

The full content of this article is only available to paid subscribers. If you are an active subscriber, please log in. To subscribe, please click here: SUBSCRIBE

Existing Users Log In